Saturday, July 2, 2011

Camilynne Jones is HOME!

This is a couple weeks late, but I haven't had a chance to post this yet so here it is...CAMI IS HOME! Can you tell I'm a little excited? I can't say the same for my husband though. He is afraid he is going to be replaced now that she's home. I keep telling him not to worry, but I don't think it's doing a lot of good.
She was supposed to come home on Wednesday June 15th, however, there were a few complications...okay a lot of complications. Poor Cami! Most of the complications were due to a volcano in Chile that sent a lovely ash cloud over Argentina. So instead of taking a plane from her area to Buenos Aires (where the international airport is) she got to ride a bus for 14 hours. Yuck! Then she got stuck in Buenos Aires for a couple days before she flew a small plane to Chile to fly to the states.
I had requested Wednesday and Thursday off work months ago when I found out when she would be getting home. I wanted to be at the airport SO badly. So when I heard that she wouldn't get home on Wednesday I had a come-apart. Thank goodness for loving husbands, because Jeremy had his work cut out for him in trying to cheer me up and convince me that everything would be okay. He was so understanding and knew how much it meant to me to be at the airport so he encouraged me to do whatever I needed to do to get work off Friday and Saturday. It took calling everyone on the phone list and begging, but I finally found someone to cover both of my shifts.
We headed down on Thursday night and got to be there the whole weekend, so it actually worked out better than if I had just been able to go down Wednesday and Thursday. Cami was supposed to get in to the St. George airport at 5:45, so we spent the day with family and running errands. At about 4:45 I got a phone call from her sister saying that Cami was at the airport. Yep. She came earlier than anyone was expecting and got to the airport with no one to greet her. Of course we all felt horrible and RACED to the airport as quickly as possible. My family and Jer and I got their first and my mom and I jumped out while the boys parked the cars. We ran into the airport searching frantically for Cami. This guy noticed us running around like chickens with our heads cut off and pointed us in the right direction. I can't even explain how happy I was to see her and give her a big hug. We just laughed and cried a little and hugged multiple times. She told me I look way different which was surprising to me. Her family wasn't far behind us and it was so much fun to watch each family member run into the airport to greet her. It wasn't the typical welcome home, but it sure makes for a good story!
The last complication was that her bags unfortunately didn't make the early flight with her. Jer and I volunteered to wait for the bags so Cami could go get released and go home and shower. We drove up to her house after and hung out with her family for a bit. I was so grateful that they let me stay and share that first night with them. I felt like part of the family and it was so fun to spend time with her.
The next day I went shopping with her and then we went back to my house so I could show her my wedding pictures. All of them. The engagements, bridals, and wedding day pictures. It took a while, but it was fun to finally share that with her. It wasn't easy for me to get married without her there, but I'm grateful she's such a good friend and is happy that I'm happy and not mad that I got married without her. Although, she does take every opportunity she finds to say "oh ya, well you got married without me!". It's true. I did. I'll let her use it a little longer.
She did an awesome job on her homecoming talk. She sounded like a true sister missionary with the pauses and missionary accent and all. It was awesome:)
It was a great weekend...I sure did miss her the last 2.5 years! Welcome home Cami!

Pictures to come!

No comments:

Post a Comment